Monday, June 13, 2011

Always in my corner...

On May 16th, this world lost an amazing woman to heaven. My Grandma Lyons passed away from lung cancer and heaven is blessed to have her as I know many here on earth have broken hearts from losing her. I know I am one of those people.

To put into words how much my grandma meant to me is impossible. I can tell you about her and how she impacted my life in such a big and positive way. I grew up on a campground that my grandparents owned and my parents operated. My brother and I spent endless hours with my grandparents as they lived right next door. They were our best friends growing up, always there to watch a performance, play cards, or go for a bike ride. We were so blessed to have such young grandparents who had the energy to keep up with us! The memories I have are endless and I cherish them with all of my heart.

As I grew up, I could always count on my grandma to be that one in my corner no matter what. She always saw the good in others, never a bad word to say. I could always count on her to give me a pick me up when I needed it, never a moment of doubt that I could count on her to be there for me.

At my wedding, we did an anniversary dance and my grandparents were the ones to "win" for being married the longest. They raised four sons and lived to tell about it after over 50 years of marriage, I can only hope Pat and I will have the same success in our marriage.

Introducing my grandma to her great granddaughter was such an amazing feeling. I am so glad that Grace got to meet and spend time with her. I can only wish that the same could be said for Ella. I would send cards each month with notes on how we were doing and tons of pictures of the girls. My grandma did not have the internet and this was my way of helping her see the girls grow as our travels up north were limited. At the funeral, I was so surprised to see an album filled with all of the cards and pictures. It meant so much to see that she kept them and would look at them.

I so wish I could go back in time and just see her one more time. To say good bye, to tell her one more time how much she meant to me, and how I was so blessed to have her in my life. Good bye Grandma, you are so missed.


3 comments:

Christina said...

I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a great woman.

P.J.R said...

The picture on the top is my favorite.She was a really nice lady as are both your grams.Great post what a nice tribute to her.

Amanda said...

I never thought Grace looked like you as much as in that pic of you when you were little. So sorry for your loss.